The History of Castle Golf Club

Castle Golf Club is one of the finest park land courses in Ireland and one of the oldest clubs in the greater Dublin area. Established in 1913, it plays a full and vibrant role in the sporting and social life of the local community.

Key Dates in the history of Castle Golf Club
2016 Castle hosts Irish Boys Amateur Championship.
2015 After 50 years at the Castle, David Kinsella retires as Club Professional
2013 Castle GC celebrates its centenary with a year long calendar of events.
2011 The club hosts first Mother and Daughter Foursomes competition.   50th anniversary of All Ireland Father & Son Competition.
2000-2002 Course is redesigned and redeveloped. Clubhouse is extended and completely refurbished.
1999 Work begins on reconstruction of all eighteen greens to USGA sand-based standard.
1989 Philip Walton wins Irish PGA Championship at Castle.
1988 Eamonn Darcy wins Irish PGA Championship at Castle.
1986 25th anniversary of All Ireland Father & Son Competition.
1976 New clubhouse officially opened.
1972 Club Professional Jimmy Kinsella becomes the first Irish winner on the European Tour when he wins the Madrid Open at Club de Campo near Madrid. David Kinsella is appointed Club Professional.
1970 Clubhouse destroyed by fire
1966 Jimmy Kinsella is appointed Club Professional.
1965 Willie Holley retires as Club Professional after 44 years dedicated service.
1961 First All-Ireland Father and Son Foursomes competition is played. The winners are Castle members Dick and Tom Lenehan.
1954 North v South professional match was played at Castle, a highlight being the drawn match between Fred Daly and Harry Bradshaw.
1950 Harry Bradshaw wins Dunlop 250 at Castle
1946 Fred Daly wins Dunlop 500 at Castle.
1941 Castle wins its first club pennant - The Barton Cup.
1938 The club hosts the Irish Close Championship which is won by the great Jimmy Bruen as well as the GUI All Ireland Club finals.
1934 Scotland v Ireland professional international match played at Castle.
1928 Henry Cotton and Jack Smith played a match against Willie Holley and Willie Nolan.
1926 Opening of new club house by Club President Lord Glenavy.
1918/1919 Harry S. Colt, one of the foremost golf course designers of the time, updates the original design.
1917/1918 Club is sold to members by its original owners William George Bailey and Adam Henry Gibson.
1916 Castle member Michael Joseph O’Rahilly is killed in the GPO during the Easter Rising. 2nd Lt Henry W Gibson, son of A H Gibson, dies of wounds received at Gallipoli.
1915 Official opening of Castle GC takes place on 26th of June. Shortly afterwards the club hosts a Golfing Tournament for professional golfers of Leinster in aid of the Red Cross.
1913 The inaugural meeting of the Club is held in the Hotel Ivanhoe, Harcourt Street in early February.  Cecil Barcroft, W.C. Pickeman and Tom Hood (Professional at Royal Dublin Golf Club) designed the original layout of the golf course. Dr Douglas Hyde, later to become the first President of Ireland, was an early member.
1912 A firm of builders, Bailey & Gibson, acquires the estate of Rathfarnham Castle which dates back to Norman days. They plan to develop a ‘city garden’ housing scheme with a golf club at its centre.